The prestigious food safety journal, Food and Chemical Toxicology, has accepted for publication an article from Burdock Group titled: “Our unrequited love for natural ingredients” by George A. Burdock, Ph.D., and Wendan Wang, Ph.D. The article provides a summary of how naturals have been approved for use in food without the benefit of scientific testing comparable to that required for synthetic chemicals or single chemical fermentation products. The article also discusses the elements of risk assessment (specifications, hazard and consumption) and while synthetics or fermentation products can be judged by these universally accepted safety criteria, it may not be possible to perform a comparable assessment for natural products and why. “Our unrequited love for natural ingredients” will appear in the September issue of Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 107, Part A, September 2017, pp. 37-46 and is available online here.Tags: food safety, natural ingredients, synthetics
- What’s in My Thanksgiving Food? The Good, the Bad and the Yummy
- European Parliament Vetoes Scientific Criteria for Endocrine Disruptors
- Applications Open for Burdock Group’s SOT 2018 Student Travel Award
- What data will FDA consider as evidence that a substance is a pre-DSHEA dietary ingredient?
- Consultancy Experience Key to Southeastern Reduction Company’s FDA GRAS for Pecan Shell Fiber as Food Ingredient in Amounts up to 10%
AAFCO allergens animal feed animal studies aquaculture Australia Canada CFDA China claims clean labels CVM dietary supplement dietary supplements DSHEA EFSA Europe exposure FDA feed ingredient Final rule food ingredients food safety genetic modification GRAS health food registration health foods IFT infant formula Japan nanomaterials natural natural colors NDIN Official Publication petfood forum probiotics Product Safety Labs safety testing SOT speaking engagement Student Travel Award Supply Side West synthetics warning letters
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.