The prestigious food safety journal, Food and Chemical Toxicology, has accepted for publication an article from Burdock Group titled: “Our unrequited love for natural ingredients” by George A. Burdock, Ph.D., and Wendan Wang, Ph.D. The article provides a summary of how naturals have been approved for use in food without the benefit of scientific testing comparable to that required for synthetic chemicals or single chemical fermentation products. The article also discusses the elements of risk assessment (specifications, hazard and consumption) and while synthetics or fermentation products can be judged by these universally accepted safety criteria, it may not be possible to perform a comparable assessment for natural products and why. “Our unrequited love for natural ingredients” will appear in the September issue of Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 107, Part A, September 2017, pp. 37-46 and is available online here.Tags: food safety, natural ingredients, synthetics
George A. Burdock, Ph.D. is the president of the safety and regulatory consulting firm of Burdock Group, with offices located in Orlando, Florida. Dr. Burdock is an internationally recognized authority on the safety of food ingredients, personal care products and dietary supplements. He has more than 25 years of experience dealing with regulatory issues related to product safety and risk assessment.
- GRAS Questions: Why Should I Invest in a GRAS when Everyone is Already Selling My Ingredient?
- Reading the Cannabis Leaves: Predicting the Future of CBD in Food and Dietary Supplements
- Burdock Group Names IFT 2019 Student Travel Award Winners
- Supplying Non-traditional Fruit Ingredients for Food and Beverages
- The Nutritional Challenges of Cell-Cultured Meat for Pet Food